Directions0/0 steps made
- Malabar Kinnathappam have an origin in Nortern kerala especially Kannur district of Kerala. In kerala You can find many dishes named Kinnathappam. But this one is unique with its taste and making.
- First of all, We will soak One cup White Raw rice for two hours. strain water and make a smooth powder with Mixer gridenr and keep it aside.
- Soak quarter cup Chana dal .
- Its time to extract coconut milk. We need total 4 1/2 cup coconut milk. 1 1/2 cup Thick Coconut milk (Onnam Pal) and 3 cups of Thin coconut milk (Randam Pal) .
- Now we cal melt Jaggery. Here we tool 1 1/2 cup Jaggery and quarter cup water. Melt it , Strain it for impurities and keep it aside.
- As next step, we will dry roast rice flour. After few minutes, we will add Thin cococnut milk (Randam pal) with the rice flour and mix it well without lumps.
- We will slowly add jaggery syrup with the mix and combine well. Its recomond you stir the mix in either clock wise or anticlockwise only – from begining to end.
- We need the mixture without lumps. If you see any lumps, you have to break it and make the mixture smooth. Stir continuoulsly on medium heat.
- After some time, the mixture will become thick . You can add the Thick coconut milk at this point. Add it slowly .
- We can add soaked Chana dal now. It will cook with the mix. Stir continuously . Add 1/3 cup of Ghee spoon by spoon occasionally
- When the mixture become thick as previous, you can add cardamom powder and mix well.
- Greasxe your Plate/ Mould with Ghee
- When the Ghee strart to leave the mixture, Transfer the mixture to the Plate/ Mould immediately
- Keep it to cool off for atleast 4 hours.. After that, Remove it from the mould, Cut in to pieces,
- Malabar Kinnathappam is an inevitable part of every special occations in Kannur district . Now Enjoy it !!
Join the discussion